Thursday, August 21, 2008

Homemade biscuits and history lessons

This morning I decided to do something that I've always wanted to do....So I made biscuits! I've made homemade dumplings before, I've made bread and rolls, but never biscuits. I wasn't sure how the kiddos would react, but they LOVED them!

Obviously I wasn't prepared (I didn't have a "biscuit cutter"), but the kids thought that these were even more special! :) They were a big hit, and not hard to make at all....Something about living here is making me really want to be as self-sufficient as we can be. I want a garden, I want to make bread, butcher our own meat instead of going to the grocery store....I want my kids to learn these things. I've just really gotten into a "preserve and honor your history" frame of mind. I'm starting a journal...a hand-written journal of daily events, weather, etc. for our place. My Pops kept one, and I'm going to try to get it and make copies. I want a written history of this place so that my children and grandchildren can remember....I love this place so much, and my dear sweet husband is falling head over heels for it, too! He enjoys it so much. I love seeing him happy...I love seeing my kids fishing and climbing canyons on a place that my Grandfather and Grandmother worked for. I love knowing that my Mom grew up coming here. I love knowing that I thought this was (and still is) the most beautiful place I could ever dream of living on. I want them to know how much hard work and love went into this place, and I want their children and their children's children to know too.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look YUMMY and I am so VERY proud of you. You have turned out to be such a wonderful wife and mother and I can't tell you how proud of you and the woman you have become. Who woulda thought 13-15 years ago, huh?!! You are truly the best daughter anyone could ever have or wish for. You amaze me sometimes! AND, your wonderful husband is partly responsible for you becoming the woman that you are. I love and appreciate him more than either of you will ever know. Both of you bring me MUCH happiness and joy. I am so proud of the way you feel about the place and the way you work so hard to get it back like it was. More than that I LOVE seeing both of your dreams come true and you having a life like you do. I better shut up before I drizzle tears on my shirt. R. T. won't know what to think when he comes in the house and sees me. LOVE YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!! 50X500!!!